Schlagwort-Archive: development

Padawan 101 – VR based Lightsaber Simulator

In the winter term 2015/2016 I was guest student of the computer science and communication department at KTH Stockholm. The most interesting project I was participated is a group work
of 5 computer science and media technology students. We were developing a game where people are encouraged to blend into the role of a young yedi aspirant, trying to learn the fight with lightsabers. The first prototype consisted of the Oculus Rift Headset and the Leap Motion controller and was presented to a public audience.
Eventually we were working on improving the game and presented it at Comic Con Gamex in Stockholm in October 2015. Here you can find a Facebook event for the presentation.
My work in the project:

  • First:
    • developing a finite state machine software structure
      to couple the different game elements.
    • integrate the leap motion sensor information
      correctly with our virtual lightsaber.
  • Second:
    • working on using gyro/accelerometer from a smartphone
      to get rotational information out of a smartphone and
      the Kinect SDK for positional tracking.
    • implementing a sensor fusion algorithm that smoothly
      integrates the positional information from Kinect,
      the rotation data from gyro and accelerometer
      into a smooth 6DOF tracking.

website of the course „Advanced Graphics and Interaction“ within we were working.
Padawan101 was nominated for technical excellence at the C Awards 2016.

Bachelor Thesis about Real-Time Editing in Virtual Production

Bachelor Thesis about Real-Time Editing in Virtual Production

I was writing my bachelor thesis at the research & development department of the Animationsinstitut, which is part of the Filmakademie Baden-Württemberg.

Topic was the technical focused evaluation of the best fitting hardware devices for
real-time editing in virtual production. We had a look on classical input and output devices
and evaluated modern approaches of input and output and how it would be possible to fit
those into a virtual production film set. For this we produced a very short filmlet as a
production prototype where we could evaluate a best suitable setup for real-time editing.
The prototype was realized with the Leap Motion Controller and the Oculus Rift DK2
in combination with a motion capture system and the Unity Engine.

The Research was part of the EU co-funded project dreamspace.

homepage of my supervising R&D department.
dreamspace project page of the R&D department.

Evaluating the prototype.

Copyright of the image: Maik Bolbeth Fotografie // MBO

 

Kinect XAML Prototype

Kinect Prototype

Implementation of a Application Prototype for the advertising degree program of my university. Used for watching content analysis of the several advertising channels of a company. Based on the WPF and XAML technologies and using Microsoft Kinect for interactive control with gestures.

contentDo

DPX Timecode MetaData Editing Tool

DPX Timecode Editing Tool

In our project Traumzeit we had the need to edit dpx timecode data, but there was no elegant way to do this in an y of our software programs. So i wrote a little tool, doing this with the python version of Qt, PyQt. You can choose an dpx stack and change the timecode in the way you need to. The software is open source and you can use it, if you want. You will have to install python and pyqt in order to run it. Here you can find the source code on github:

https://github.com/stefanseibert/PyMetaDPX

MiRoR

MiRoR

In the project miror a autonomic robot should be build, to work in places where people can’t go. For testing behaviours of the robot, there was the need of a 3d modell that works like the original one. I implemented classes and functions in the middleware morse, which is using the blender game engine for simulating robotic behaviours. Morse is designed for connecting the 3d simulation in Blender and the ROS operating system. I also modelled the robot in blender and was rigging him for being able to control it from the middleware. All software parts were written in python.
project homepage: http://www.miror.eu/

The Ambrosia Project

The Ambrosia Project

In the summer term 2013 i was part of the development team of a 3d action adventure, which we developed as part of our studies on campus. We wrote our own game engine based on the 3d renderer ogre. I was mainly responsible for adding a lua scripting console to the software, so that also our design team could try out new content, without any coding capabilities. I also was working on some basic game ai implementations and various other stuff. All code was written in c++ and for the scripting in lua.

the ambrosia project – homepage on the university server

Dust of History

Dust Of History

In the summer term 2012 we developed a multiplayer strategy game in java at our university. I was doing the programming part together with Pascal. We wanted to try out writing such a game in java, also knowing how unlikely that is. We based the game on the LWJGL, basically a java wrapper for OpenGL. I was working on various topics, but my biggest topic was writing the game server application and implementing the client side communication between the players and the game server, based on tcp socket communication.

The facebook page of the project.

DoH Gameplay